Design and Technology Department Technicians:
Mr G. Richards
Miss B. Hamlyn
Technology is taught in specialist rooms with modern equipment, through the subjects of Food, Textiles and Product Design. Generally the work is project-based and of a "Design and Make" nature, allowing a considerable amount of freedom of expression and projects are chosen to reflect the girls' interests. From Year 10 students work on controlled assessments provided by the examination board but are actively encouraged to find and solve problems within environments/contexts other than school, for example in industrial and commercial areas.
Key Stage 3
All students study all three technology subjects on a twelve week rotation. In Year 9 modules are slightly shorter to allow for the Enterprise Scheme which takes place in the autumn term.
Students at KS3 follow a programme which gives a broad base of practical skills and knowledge of healthy eating, hygiene and safety and wise shopping.
Some of the dishes that the students create include; carrot cakes in Year 7, soups and bread in Year 8 and pasta, potatoes and pastry in Year 9.
Students are taught workshop health and safety and how to use a variety of wood-working machines. There is also an emphasis on computer aided design and manufacture. (CAD-CAM.) Girls work on individual projects including items such as bookends and mobiles.
Textiles is one rotation of the Design and Technology carousel. In Years 7 and 8 Students complete a 12 week design and make assignment, gradually building knowledge, understanding and practical skills side by side.
In year 7 this year students will be making making decorative cushions. In year 8, reusable shopping bags. The Year 9 design and make assignment is to create a pair of pyjamas.
Pupils have just eight weeks to complete their project. The autumn term consists of an enterprise unit in which teams of five students work together to design and develop, make, market and sell a product of their choice.
Key Stage 4
Food Technology GCSE
Students follow the OCR specification at GCSE. This includes two controlled assessments and one examination.
Students follow the AQA Design and Technology: Textiles specification. This involves an extended design and make project as controlled assessment which represents 60% of their final mark. The remaining 40% is achieved through a written paper.
[60% of the total marks]
A single design-and-make activity selected from a choice of set tasks, consisting of the development of a made outcome and a concise design folder and/or appropriate ICT evidence. These tasks are reviewed every two years.
The design folder should consist of approximately:
- 20 pages of A3 paper
- equivalent A4 paper
- or the ICT equivalent.
It is expected that students should spend approximately 45 hours on this activity.
As part of the evidence submitted, students should include photographs of the finished products as well as photographs at various stages of the process.
[40% of the total marks]
One paper with two sections:
Section A : A design question based on context supplied before the exam (25% of marks)
Section B: Covers all aspects of the specification content (75% of marks)